Thursday, June 19, 2014

Starcrossed

First of all, I have some housekeeping items to clear up.

1. Banana Runts are just plain nasty, and that's the truth.
2. My daughter is 15 months old and has very interesting grooming habits. Tonight she ate her portion of Mayocoba beans and promptly smashed the rest of them into her shirt, hair and various other crevices. My brother patted her curly head and said, "Hmmm, crispy," (just in case you needed independent verification). Bananas are particularly fun to smash.
3. I will eat a banana that is crunchy and kind of hard to peel. My husband dies a little every time he sees this. On the other hand, my husband will eat bananas that reek of ethylene. I gag a little every time I smell this. Together we cover the full banana spectrum.

#3 was the fib. I had a great time reading all of your guesses!

I also had a great time making this quilt. A friend of mine asked me to make a quilt for a special occasion. She told me that she liked a star in the middle. That's it. Isn't trust a beautiful thing?



Believe it or not, I do occasionally make quilts that aren't purple. Apparently I just haven't gotten radiant orchid out of my system yet. I have to say that I am thankful for my burgeoning orange stash. Orange fabric might not be fun to buy, but it is fun to use! Something magical happens in the pairing of orchid and orange. I really like this color combo.

This particular quilt is made from a variation of a Wheel of Fortune Star. I modified the block to make each solid piece in the original a nine patch and every half square triangle in the original into a split nine patch. Each completed block finished at six and a half inches. 




I started free motion quilting in December. My mom is a maker too (which also makes her a championship fabric and quilt kit buyer). I stole one of her quilt kits when I was visiting last summer to take home and do for her. I gave it back for her Christmas present. That quilt was my first attempt at free motion quilting and I am pretty sure I ripped more stitches than I sewed. Secure in my knowledge that mom would love me even if my quilting was marginal at best, I persevered. I am glad I kept trying. The hardest part about free motion quilting is letting go of any illusions of perfection you might be harboring...sort of like getting your first ding in the brand new car.

I tried a new design for this quilt. I threw a little loop and double loop into the meander. Some of it was pretty flippin' awesome.




...and some of it, well, wasn't. Whoops. Since the flippin' awesomes outnumber the whoops moments, I am counting that as a win. Hopefully I get karma points for showing extra large detail shots of the quilting.



Here is a picture of our sweet little "Sister" trying out the quilt. Check out the hairstyle! If you had hair that routinely looked like this, you'd try the banana gel too.



And this is a picture of the back. I contented myself with the simple heart. Not every note has to be written with (ransom note) letters.



5 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I love your stories AND your quilts!
    I used to be so critical of my free motion quilting. Then, I'd walk away and return later and discover it wasn't so bad after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! No wonder my daughter enjoys banana gel! Hair cooperation! I love that you have shown your FMQ and even mistakes! THANK YOU! I think when I finally settle in to the new place I am breaking out the FMQ foot and just going for it! Thank you! Your quilt looks awesome and so does the quilting! Oh and P.S. I love all the purple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning star! Love the orange and keep buying it. It's a family favorite color - it electrifies things. The back is wonderful as well, even without the notes, and is filled with whimsy. It also shows off the quilting, which I love!! Another winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I've found your blog throughPlum and June's new blogger hop. I love the quilt layout you've designed. I admit I'm not a fan of orange. I've made quilts with it, that turned out beautifully, but I just don't warm to the colour. I like your description of fmq. Letting go of the inner perfectionist is hard for me. But I do enjoy fmq when I get it "right"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how there is no emotional payoff to buy certain colors? I live in the cool side of the color wheel. I can use warmer tones when I tell myself I have to, but it doesn't come naturally!

      Delete