This is a running record of all the quilts I made during the lockdown/quarantine. There are a lot. My cellphone had a catastrophic failure a couple of weeks ago, and I lost a lot of pictures. Many of these quilts will have only one picture, but since there are so many quilts, that just might be for the best. You can find more detail shots on my Instagram page, @pieladyquilts.
The creative theme I used to prompt myself this time was "the closet." In my sewing room, I store many things in that closet. Maybe *too* many. All the quilts in today's post began as bags of scraps, orphan blocks, a stray quilt top or from fabric stacked in that closet. I will go in chronological order.
"Roses and Thorns"
23" x 23"
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." --Abraham Lincoln
Last spring, while I was making the coral Pickle Dish quilt, I needed to rip out part of a seam on one of the arcs. I ended up ripping the seam AND the fabric. I saved the ripped arc and the angled scraps from the project in a plastic bag to work on later. A year later, here we are.
I try hard to be an optimist, but I have to admit that when I dumped out the bag, I saw the "thorns" first. I used all of the angled pieces to create three roses as my penance.
The background fabric is from a men's brushed woven dress shirt (thanks, Goodwill). There was a definite right side and wrong side to the fabric, but I ignored that. I like the subtle variation in color and texture. I also experimented with one of the utility stitches on my machine to stitch in some more texture with invisible thread.
I found the ripped pickle dish arc and a bag of scraps stored in the closet. I normally don't store scraps this way (I just use them instantly), but I had to move on quickly to other State Fair quilts last summer and put them aside to deal with later.
This quilt began with orphan blocks from my quilt "Love At First Glow." I discovered that I could make the blocks have a glowing effect if I started with the lightest value and gradually darkened the values as I added more rounds. These are the blocks that I made before I discovered that.
I floated these blocks in a sea of Kona Oasis. I chose that fabric because it was a nice medium value and also because I had three yards of it in my stash. Specific fabrics were hard to come by at this point in the spring, and I was happy to use what I had.
I quilted this using the zig zag utility stitch on my machine and pale green thread. I like how the contrasting thread looks on the Oasis background and it was a fun way to deal with quilting the negative space on this quilt.
I ended up with a lot of weird angled Oasis scraps after piecing this, so I took a break from digging in the closet and used those scraps as my inspiration for the next several quilts.
34" x 39"